skip to main content

Office of Special Education


Pupil Personnel Services


Special Education Services

Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE)

The primary function of the CPSE is to identify, evaluate, review the status of, and make recommendations concerning the appropriate special education services of each preschool child with a disability and to facilitate the delivery of those services.  If you suspect that your child has a disability or are referred by your doctor or a preschool professional, please call the PPS office at 622-6502 or Dr. Michele Pakula, CPSE chairperson at 622-6401.

Committee on Special Education (CSE)

Students who are suspected of having a learning disability are referred to a multidisciplinary team called the Committee on Special Education (CSE). The Committee on Special Education (CSE) is responsible for servicing children with disabilities from 5 to 21 years of age. Children who are identified as having a learning disability are referred for Special Education. Specially designed individualized or group instruction, special services or special programs are recommended through this committee to meet the individual needs of students. Special Education programs and services are provided for the student at no cost to the parent.  If you suspect your child has a disability, please call the PPS office at 622-6502 or the building psychologist.


Continuum of Services Offered at Carle Place School District

*Related Services

            Speech Langugae Services

            Occupational therapy

            Physical Therapy

            Counseling Services

            Hearing/ Vision Itenerant Services

*Resource Room

*Consultant Teacher

*Integrated Co-Teaching ICT

*Special Education Classes

*Life Skills Program


Services in Non-Public Schools:
Parents of students who have an IEP and enroll their child in a nonpublic school (both private and parochial) where they are paying tuition, must, in writing, notify the school district where the non-public school is located, that they are requesting special education services. This request must be received by the district of location no later than June 1st before the start of the school year in which services are to be provided.  This request must be done each year.